Texas Health Resources
Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas is seeking a Full Time Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
in the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine (IEEM) department to work variable shifts supporting the Cerebrovascular Lab, specifically in Alzheimer's Disease prevention trial.
Departments of Neurology and Neurotherapeutics UTSW/IEEM have an integrated multidisciplinary research environment supporting cutting-edge basic, translational and clinical neuroscience research. UTSW Advanced Imaging Research (AIRC) Center is equipped with state-of-the-art MRI systems dedicated to research (three 3T and one 7T whole-body scanner). The applicant will have an opportunity to work with a collaborative research team to understand the impact of cardiovascular risk factors and aerobic exercise training on brain aging and neurodegenerative disease. This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate/ post-doctorate to conduct research on Alzheimer's disease clinic patients.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Doctorate in Medicine or Physiology - M.D. or D.O.
6 months Physiology experience
5 years of experience working in a research lab and/or related clinical setting required.
Experience and previous training in Cardiovascular Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Neuroscience/Cognitive function, or MRI are preferred.
Demonstrated verbal and written ability to communicate effectively and professionally across disciplines.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Must demonstrate strong customer service skills. Ability to accomplish results and achieve organizational outcomes and goals.
Good organizational and project management skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment. Basic word processing, database, graphics and spreadsheet applications skills.
Basic knowledge of research methodology preferred.
Strong publication record and excellent communication and laboratory skills
BCLS - Basic Cardiac Life Support required upon hire (from American Heart Association)
JOB DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
Project Coordination and Research Activity:
Under a mentor or sponsor's guidance, the incumbent performs clinical research projects conducted by the mentor/faculty member or projects where the incumbent is the responsible researcher
Completes all parts of the research process from grant applications, to subject recruitment, to subject testing, to data analysis, to publication
Independently execute job functions for research protocol(s). Collect and gather data for the research project.
• Independently performs duties as a collaborator (co-investigator) for major research projects,
including planning, coordinating, evaluating resources, implementing, directing and instructing
• Recommends and/or implements new or modified procedures and techniques based upon the latest
developments in the assigned field or analysis of research data
• Use knowledge of research issues to diagnose and resolve issues related to the research project
• Participate in the selection of potential clinical trials and initial patient interviews.
• Develop study-specific documentation/reports required by regulating agencies.
• Identify potential patients for clinical research from current clinic population, providing necessary
information to patients and physicians.
• Apply study inclusion and exclusion criteria for selection of candidates.
• Follow all study requirements for specimen handling with precision and accuracy.
• Complete all documentation clearly and accurately according to regulation and study guidelines.
• Communicate directly with stakeholders as defined by the study guidelines or regulation.
• Performs duties as a hands-on collaborator (co-investigator) for major research projects
• Provides oversight and directly participates in all aspects of the project
• Recommends new procedures based upon the latest developments in assigned field
• Apply critical thinking and knowledge of specific research aims to study design and expected
Independently design, construct, repair or modify electronic or mechanical equipment and other apparatus' used in research
• Displays thorough knowledge of use, limitations, acceptable error, quality outputs of equipment in
• Identifies the equipment needed for research projects and/or provides guidance to Research
Associates on equipment needs.
• Designs, constructs, repairs, or modifies electronic and/or mechanical equipment as needed or
provides direction to others on how to do so.
• Constructs, assembles, and operates experimental or specially designed laboratory equipment.
• Tests new equipment and makes recommendations to confirm acceptance or make adjustments.
• Able to troubleshoot basic, advanced and complex equipment issues
• Provides oversight for routine maintenance, quality assurance and calibration of all types of
research equipment (basic, advanced and complex).
• Manages the equipment resources to ensure availability and reliability of data.
Design and develop data collection programs or software for the accumulation and analysis of research data.
• Analyze research project objectives to develop a data management plan to include statistical needs, technical requirements and quality control functions.
• Design and maintain study related data elements and definitions for collection of data used.
• Apply computer programming skills to develop basic to complex data collection programs or data
bases for collecting and analyzing research data.
• Pretests data collection tools to ensure that instructions and the format work as intended.
• Revises data collection tools, developing new or revised data elements, as necessary.
• Participates in audits and quality control functions to ensure accuracy and consistency of data.
• Maintains accurate and current computer databases as appropriate.
• Conducts audits and maintains data related to audit findings.
• Utilize data collection and reporting tools to evaluate research data and report outcomes.
• Identifies methods for obtaining high quality information from other internal or external data
sources as needed.
• Educates and trains staff on the use data collection tools.
• Processes data for the analysis of research study results
• Provides coding and data reports regarding adverse events and other relevant, unexpected
• Proofs study reports and outputs to ensure data integrity.
• Utilizes PDSA process for continuous improvement and/or sustained results.
• Compiles data and submits case report forms, source documentation, and study documentation as
defined by the research project/study.
Safety and Education
Understands and promotes policies for safe and appropriate testing as defined by regulation or policy and procedure.
• Appropriately responds to emergency situations
• Demonstrates knowledge of emergency preparedness codes and appropriately respond to code situations providing guidance to others as necessary.
• Recognizes safety hazards and adheres to safety protocols, guidelines and/or policies.
• Instructs and trains on the appropriate techniques in order to safely use research equipment.
• Performs research and clinical tests according to policy and procedures as defined.
• Orients and educates visitors to IEEM ensuring compliance with department, entity and system
policies and procedures.
• Identify opportunities for improvement related to quality, safety and risk. Works in collaboration
with appropriate entity or system representatives to develop and implement solutions to address
identified gaps. Completes necessary documentation.
• Coordinates the development, implementation and ongoing monitoring of safety management
Research Publication and Presentation
Compile, write and present research study findings and results to internal or external stakeholders.
• Prepare and/or present research related presentations or briefings to entity senior leadership,
board members or other key stakeholders as requested.
• Utilizes appropriate statistical methods to aggregate, analyze, display and present research data using applicable tools or programs.
• Present research results at local/national forums as requested.
• Ensure a consistent style of presentation for clinical documents in order to maintain quality and
ease of review.
• Work collaboratively with appropriate entity or system representatives to ensure presentations and
publications are managed in accordance with policy and procedures.
• Proofread and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency and clarity
• Ensures research documentation is comprehensive and in compliance with established research
Located at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine contains 40,000 sq ft of research and office space, with 7 major laboratories supported by
approximately 40 technical staff. Our broad areas of interest include environmental physiology (temperature regulation, high altitude physiology, hyperbaric medicine, water immersion), respiratory physiology, cardiovascular regulation, neural control of the circulation, muscle metabolism, and neurocognitive science. Each laboratory, led by a specific faculty member, has both a research focus and a clinical application; as such, this institute is one of a very few clinical research centers in the world that fosters the fusion of basic science and clinical medicine in a program designed specifically to study human physiology.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employees or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Share On :